Wurlitzer 3600 cancel issue and sound

geschrieben von - posted by oldguy3 
Wurlitzer 3600 cancel issue and sound
09.02.24 01:42
Hello all, It has been awhile since I have worked on a Jukebox. I have only worked on a few. I have a new to me Wurlitzer 3600 jukebox that plays the same two songs everytime I select a song to play. If I select U7 side A it will start operating and move to C7 and play side B until the end. Then it returns it and moves and picks up C9 and plays side B and returns it. Then it moves and picks up U7 and plays side A and returns it. Then on the way back to home it plays C7 and C9 again and then returns to home. I am thinking it is not canceling those two selections for some reason.
At first I thought maybe it was not canceling any selections on side B but I tried a couple of other side B selections and after it goes through the process of playing the two it always plays and the B side selections I made and returns home to rest.
Then when I select U7 again like I did the first time it does the exact same thing. It does not play the B selections I made the previous time.
So it is canceling some of the B side selections.
Would anyone know what could cause it to just not cancel these two selections C7 and C9?

Also the sound is pretty bad. Actually the wires to the top 6 inch speakers have been cut. The 12 inch speakers work but they really seem to rattle when there is base. There is some crackling and a little hum.
Is there a way I can hook up some regular speakers only just to test to find out if the original speakers are bad. Also test amp and cartridge at the same time kinda?

Here are a couple of links to videos of what the Jukebox sounds like.
Can anyone tell by them what the main sound issue probably is?

youtube.com/shorts/kPFGcikuohM?si=Tm6kIH-1hSN6qwd4

youtube.com/shorts/GFzDhb2xIuw?si=7gBwgR0VqjuOQDcG

One more thing. Is there anybody out there that will rebuild these speakers?

Thanks
Re: Wurlitzer 3600 cancel issue and sound
09.02.24 08:32
Ich kenn die späten US Wurlitzer Maschinen nicht so gut aber ich denke das du mit deiner Beobachtung Recht hast und diese beiden Wahlen einfach nicht gelöscht werden . Sofern ich das noch Richtig vor Augen habe werden die Wahlen anders Erkannt als bei den Deutschen Modellen . Aber es Bedarf Trotzdem einer Schleifbahn auf der die Kontakte für den Sucherarm Schleifen . Ich denke das dort das Problem liegt . Vermutlich ist an zwei Stellen die Leiterbahn Extem verschmutzt ( Oxydiert ) so das die Spannnung nicht zum Löschmagneten kommt .

Sound ist ein wenig schwer einzuschätzen . Im ersten Video hört sich das so an als läuft der Idler vom Plattenteller nicht Rund . Im zweiten als ob sich die Sicken der Lautsprecher gelöst haben .

Man kann Lautsprecher Reparieren lassen . Leider schreibst du nicht wo dein Standort liegt . Vom Text her würde ich sagen USA . Da wird es aus Deutschland raus ein wenig schwer dir eine Firma zu nennen .
09.02.24 14:29
Thank you for the reply. Is there a way I can convert the reply to English so I can read it. I am having to use my tablet at this time. Before it has given me the option at the bottom of the screen but I can not seem to get it to do that now. Thanks
09.02.24 14:35
It did convert it to English after I posted and then went back to it. I will check that stuff you suggested out. I am in the US. Thanks
10.02.24 00:46
Ok I checked the traces that the 4 fingers run on that give the read out and cancel coils there power. It was pretty clean but I went ahead and cleaned it. It still does not cancel those 2 selections. There could be more but I am thinking maybe if I fix those two it will take care of any problems with others. At least i can start there. Maybe that finger needs to be pushed up against the traces harder. Maybe in certain spots the finger moves away from the trace and there is no or not a good enough connection.
I did get down in the floor and watch it when it went to pickup C7 side B. It did power the coil for it to cancel it but it either did not push it down far enough or something. Maybe not enough power like I said above. I might take all of the records out of it so I can work on it proped up on the kick stands.

As far as the bad sound from humming and distortion I think it is an amp problem. I hooked up the top two 6 inch speakers that had the wires cut with the 12 inch speakers unhooked. They sound exactly like the 12 inch speakers. So then i unhooked all of the speakers. Then I hooked up a known good regular speaker to just see how it sounded. It sounded the exact same way. So I am thinking the only thing that could cause the distortion and humming is the amp or needle/cartridge. I have never heard a needle/cartridge make that kind of sound but I have not messed with a bunch of them.

Thanks
10.02.24 09:15
Wenn mich nicht alles täuscht benutzen die bei dem Modell immer noch ein Keramik System . Somit sollte sich der Eingang des Verstärkers mit einem Tonsignal aus einem CD Spieler ( Line Out ) testen lassen . Damit lassen sich Nadel , System und Idler als Fehlerquelle ausschließen oder bestätigen . Der Verstärker ist ja um die 50 Jahre alt das vergisst man schnell bei Jukeboxen . Für diesen langen Zeitraum sind einige Bauteile einfach nicht ausgelegt . Elektrolyt Kondensatoren können austrocknen und selbst Transistoren verursachen Probleme . Somit will ich ein Problem mit dem Verstärker nicht ausschließen .

Nochmal zu deinem Löschvorgang Problem . Hast du die Wahlstifte mal von Hand zurück gesetzt ? Nicht das die einfach kleben wegen altem Fett oder fest sitzen wegen Rost . Es ist ja vom technischen Ablauf sonst kaum zu erklären warum sämtliche Stifte zurück geschlagen werden außer die beiden . Entweder trifft die Spule den Stift nicht , die Spule zieht nicht an so das der Stift erst garnicht geschlagen wird oder der Stift sitzt fest . Mehr Fehler Quellen seh ich momentan nicht .
10.02.24 17:01
Swen, thank you for your help so far.
Doing this I have a selection made on the Jukebox and the record playing so the amp has power. Should a cell phone work with a cable with a head phone Jack on one end and 2 RCA Jack's on the other end plugged into the phono input of the amp? I tried this but get no sound out of the amp to the speakers.
Does it have to be a specific signal? What all could I use to feed the signal to the amp. It has to be something pre amp I am sure. I am trying to think what I might have around that would work.

About the deletion problem I have reset the dial pins by hand. They seem to go down very easily and smooth. I popped some of the other ones up manually and pushed them down to compare. They seem the same.
Do you know can I operate the unit with the unit up on the Jack stands so I can watch what is going on better? I have turned the carousel around with the switch when it was up on the Jack stands to clean the top traces. If I could operate it in the up position I could see things a lot better for sure. From what I have seen so far it looked like it pushed down on them but maybe not far enough because they did not lock down like they do if I push them down with my finger.
10.02.24 18:21
Ok a cell phone will work just fine. I had what I call a brain fart. I tried my phone on my stereo in my office and it did not work in there either. So come to find out the volume on my phone was way down. So then I tried it again on the Jukebox. Well it sounded exactly the same as it does with the phono/record player hooked up. so it is the amp.
I have unhooked all Jukebox speakers and hooked up a known good working speaker and it sounded the exact same. That eliminated the speakers. I hooked my phone into the amp and get the exact same sound. That eliminated needle/cartridge ect. So the only thing left is the amp.
So I guess an amp rebuild is in the future. All capacitors, Hopefully I can get some output transistors that will work in this amp. Is there anything else I should replace for sure that you would suggest?

Now if I can figure out what is going on with the no cancel issue I will be a lot closer to bringing this machine back to life.

Thanks
10.02.24 20:49
I think on this Jukebox I can take the amp out of it and the rest of the unit will still operate for testing.
Do you know if this is correct

Thanks
10.02.24 22:46
Wenn du den Verstärker ausbaust sollte der Rest eigentlich funktionieren . Ich bin aber wie schon erwähnt nicht ganz so tief in der Materie drin bei den letzen US Wurlitzer Geräten . Die sind hier in Deutschland ehr selten und auch nicht so begehrt .

Verstärker Service ist bei diesen Verstärkern keine schöne Aufgabe . Output Transistoren wechseln würde ich nicht auf Verdacht . Generell wird es schwer werden die passenden Ersatztypen aufzutreiben . Wobei du sitzt ja in den USA das könnte da vielleicht einfacher sein . Wurlitzer hat ihre eigenen Nummern aufdrucken lassen . Du kannst damit also nicht viel Anfangen wenn du keine Tabelle hast wo aufgeschlüsselt ist welche Nummer für welchen Transistor steht . Dazu kommt das die alten Wurlitzer Transistoren oft in ECG Typen aufgeschlüsselt werden sofern man denn Listen darüber findet , in Deutschland leider keine Standard Artikel wie in den USA .

Ich würde mit den Elektrolyt Kondensatoren Anfangen . Denk daran das es nicht egal ist wie rum die eingebaut werden . Die haben eine festgelegte Polung wie eine Batterie . Baust du die falsch herum ein hast du Feuerwerk im Haus . Ich kenne leider keine aktiven oder lebenden Jukebox Techniker in den USA mehr . Somit kann ich auch nicht sagen ob es da jemanden gibt den du am besten den Verstärker zur Reparatur schicken kannst . Vielleicht haben hier aber noch andere Leser eine Idee dazu oder einen Tipp für dich . Wie sieht es denn mit dem Amerikanischen Forum aus ? Gibt es da keine Fachleute die Reparaturen anbieten ? Vergiss nicht das eventuell der Verstärker am Ende auch neu abgeglichen werden muss .
10.02.24 23:21
Ich hab gerade mal nach Plänen geschaut . Für die W3600 hab ich nichts da aber für die W3700 . Da hab ich was gesehen was man sich auf jeden Fall mal genauer anschauen sollte sofern das bei dem von der W3600 gleich ist . Zwei Doppel Dioden am Eingang . Für mich sieht das Verdammt so aus wie die Schaltung fürs AVC bei Seeburg ab DS . Diese Dioden sorgen oft bei Seeburg für Ärger und sind so nicht mehr zu bekommen . Es gibt zwar einen Ersatztyp von ECG aber der ist selbst in den USA nur schwer zu bekommen und teuer noch dazu . Es gibt dafür aber eine günstigere Ersatzschaltung . Wie gesagt ich kann nicht sagen ob das wirklich das gleiche ist dafür müsste ich da tiefer in die Materie gehen . Aber das wäre ein Punkt den ich besonders gut untersuchen würde .
11.02.24 00:18
The W3700 has a 556 amp and my W3600 has a 553 amp. If I had a way I could send you a PDF copy of my W3600 if that is allowed.

Thanks
23.03.24 15:48
I have finally been able to start working on this Jukebox again. I was taking the selection accumulator out of the unit to clean everything up good and all of a sudden three C clips just fall out of nowhere. So I clean everything up the best I can and get it all put back together. Well when I chose C8 and C0 like before they both canceled. But then when I chose U7 it played but after returning the record it just keep taking it back over to play again. The switch was stuck on the selection pin and would not let the coil plunger cancel it. It was like it was in a bind. Then the C clips came to mind. Someone had put the C clips in between the plate and selection accumulator to put more space between the pins and the cancel unit. So I put the 3 C clips back in as spacers and it made everything start operating like it did from the very beginning. It is like with the spacers in there it just cant push those two pins down far enough for them to hold down. Without the spacers U7 is to close and binds up. I know it was not like that from the factory. So I dont know what would have happened that they had to put spacers in there.
My question is are there any adjustments that can be made on the cancel unit to make the side 1 switch have more of a gap between the selection pins and the switch?
Basically any adjustments that can be made short of using different size spacers to try to get it gapped where everything will work.
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in