Rockola 1454 gripper play

geschrieben von - posted by smt02 
Rockola 1454 gripper play
21.01.16 19:27
Hi
Another issue with the Rockola, the gripper arm has started catching the records as the carousel moves round, there appears to be play on the shaft which is attached to the chrome gripper, is there any adjustment on this
Thanks in advance and many thanks to Charlie for his last reply
Re: Rockola 1454 gripper play
21.01.16 21:04
Hello,

I had a matter of fact also an issue with the gripper. Even tough they may all look a little different the principal functional mechanism is the same over the 50s and early 60s for Rock-Ola as I have learnt the last weeks.

There is a spring in the gripper mechanism itself. Then whole is filled with grease.

With me the grease was so old and hard that the force needed was too high to manipulate anything. So I disassembled it - carefully - cleaned it totally, greased it properly (no oil) - and since then it worked perfect.

Depending on the status and potential corrosion a spring can break. If it is broken you have not the spring force and the gripper does not operate completely. Check that and if so you need a new spring.

Greetings

Hans-Burton
21.01.16 21:20
Thanks hans I will have a look and see, the Spring appears to work but excessive play
Regards
Andy
22.01.16 11:08
Hello Andy

The gripper is compressed by the spring force to clamp the record. It is forcibly opened by an eccentric shaft inside. The eccentric shaft is driven by the right of the two star wheels. The left star wheel pivots forward and back the gripper. Therefore, the right star wheel must turn further (about 30 degrees) than the left.

There is nothing to adjust, the process is determined by the construction. Adjustable is just the rotation angle of the gripper motor. If the gripper motor stops too early, the gripper is not opened wide enough. I suspect that's the case with you.

The rotation angle of the gripper motor is limited by the function of the "Grip Cam Limit Switch" next to the star wheels. The adjustment is not easy, but it is described in the Service Manual very good.

Best regards - charly49
22.01.16 13:05
Charlie49
Thanks but it appears to select discs ok and return ok but in the rest position the gripper arm catches the discs as the carousel rotates, it needs to be pushed out about 1-2 MM. to clear the rotating carousel
Regards
Andy
23.01.16 23:31
Hello Andy

That's exactly what I mean. The gripper motor stops too early, because the Grip Cam Limit Switch is activated too early. The switch respectively the lever which actuates it must be readjusted.

Best regards - charly49
10.02.16 16:03
Excessive gripper play can be caused by 2 problems that occur the same time

Wear between the inner gripper and the gripper arm
If you would take it apart you can see some wear on the housing the square pin of the inner gripper runs through , same goes for the square pin itself
This cant be changed

The second is the wear between the gripper housing and the gripper spider
This can be changed , done it myself but if you want to do this its at your own risk !!!!!
After taking it all apart I used an F clamp to bring both ends on the gripper housing ( where the spider is placed between) closer together and this way cleared the play between these parts
16.02.16 09:54
Hi
Thanks for your reply, I don't think the play is more than 1mm, there was an issue with the carousel switches located near the motor on the left, so I get no jerking but the gripper still catches the odd disc or 2
But it's better not perfect
16.02.16 10:12
At the back you can adjust the resting position of the gripper arm

16.02.16 11:40
Thank you will check this as it's probably all I need to do
Thanks
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in