Wurlitzer 1900 playing not records but with my patience ;o)

geschrieben von - posted by Chris in Japan 
Wurlitzer 1900 playing not records but with my patience ;o)
22.02.15 10:21
Guys!

It has been an eternity since my last appearance in the forum so first of all my apologies with the kindest regards to every of you!

I come back to as any single time time before to ask some help from you, guys.

I have this W1900 that used to work fine but after many months of no use started to suffer a couple of thankfully minor issues.

1) The keyboard won't operate

This means the buttons do not remain depressed firstly for the letter and sequentially for the number.
I "solve" this by manually pushing the electromagnetic plunger "G" (the one located above the keyboard, behind the title screens. Once this done, the play will allow to be selected and the records are picked up, played and returned in full normal operation.

I opened the coin-box searching there the bug but without any significant "discovery". I can only report:
- The W1900 is supposedly to be set for "free play" (BTW: how do I know this is true and where is this set?)
- Plunger "F" firmly shuts when the jukebox is switched on. Curiously I remarked that after switching it off, it won't reopen - I need to apply some slight force in the switch to open it
- Plungers "C" & "B" are mechanically free but any movement is seen at any moment - not even when I move the plunger "G" by hand
- Identical with plunger "D" however unlike plungers "B" & "C" there is noticeable current (spark) flowing through the leafs when I operate manually
- the bracket "A" rotated to its end lets the full selector at the right side to perform a complete rotation sequence

2) I have fluctuation (not absolutely dramatic so far) in the volume

What is specially puzzling me is that this fluctuations change from one record to another one. Some songs seem to suffer it specially - others even not noticeable

I can live with (2) but (1) is kind a mess as I have to open the "windscreen", slide-up the third title panel and push the plunger "G" manually (no panic: with a plastic stick! ;o)) every time I want a selection

So! Hopefully the description plus the two attached pictures leads somebody here to say "gosh - how silly these rookies are!" and allow him to give me a magic hint!

In the meantime many thanks and wish you good vintage tunes this Sunday!

Chris from Liechtenstein

Re: Wurlitzer 1900 playing not records but with my patience ;o)
22.02.15 10:36
Sorry - now the missing pictures!

22.02.15 12:12
22.02.15 20:14
Ok. Ok. Wollte mein Deutsch vermeiden weil einfach furchtbar ist aber Ok! Ich tue es! ;o)

Wein W1900 leidet zwei Problemen:

1) Die Tastatur funktioniert nicht.

Und zwar d.h. Tasten bleiben nicht gedrückt bis den Auswahl abgeschlossen wurde. Ich löse dieses durch die manuelle Betätigung des Kolbens in den Elektromagnet "G" (bitte siehe angehängte Bilder oben). Dieser ist del Elektromagnet die oberhalb die Tastatur und hinten die Titeltafeln. Einmal dieses getan, wird die Schallplatte völlig normal selektiert , geholt, gespielt und zurück gelegt.

Nach der Suche der Ursache bin auch zum "Kredit-Box" hinten gegangen aber nicht besonderes gefunden:
- Die Wurli ist meine Infos nach in "free-play" gestellt, zwar weiss nicht genau ob dieses so ist und würde gerne wissen wie dieses genau eingestellt wird
- Den Kolben "F" schliesst kraftvoll jedes mal das ich die Wurli einschalte allerdings merkte ich dass nach ausschalten ich sollte den Kolben per Hand "wegpushen" um es wieder zu öffnen
- Die Kolben "B" und "C" sind mechanisch frei aber tuen "nichts". Manuelle Betätigung bringt auch keine Hilfe
- Dito mit Kolben "D" allerdings dort funkt es leicht beim schlissen und öffnen der Blattkontakte
- Den Hebel "A", einmal am Anschlag gebracht lässt den ganzen Mechanismus rechts in seine Bewegungssequenz drehen

2) Ich leide Fluktuation in die Lautstärke

Merkwürdigerweise ist diese Fluktuation anscheinend an bestimmte Schallplatten verknüpft. Bei bestimmte es ist sehr deutlich - beim andere kaum etwas zu merken!

Voila! Hoffentlich ist mein Deutsch lesbar und werde mich auf jeder Tip bedanken!

Ein schönen Sonntagabend an alle!

Gruss.

Christian

22.02.15 23:01
Hello Chris

I assume plunger "G" remains in the attracted position whenever you hit it manually. In series with the latch solenoid a resistor is connected, which reduces the current through the coil. The reduced current is sufficient to hold the plunger, but not to pull it. The resistor is therefore bridged by a contact. The contact is normally closed, he opens when the plunger reaches the end position. I think the contact has to be cleaned and possibly adjusted.

Relay "F" (called timing relay No. 1) is always activated when credit is available. It is normally activated by a contact called key switch. This is mounted under the micro-switch. In your picture I can not see if it is available. It may have been removed and the wires connected to each other to adjust the box to free play.

Timing Relay No1 is temporarily disabled at the end of a selection process. In your box, it seems to stick. That sometimes happens, the cause is residual magnetism in the coil core and armature. To solve the problem, you can glue a piece of tape on the underside of the armature to prevent direct contact of the coil core and armature. That will keep for a while. For a permanent solution so you can expand the armature, drill a hole at the contact point and install a copper rivet with flat head. If necessary, I can explain it in more detail.

The sound problem could be caused by a bad connection. Especially the cable to the Cobra pickup is very sensitive. This includes the holder in which is inserted the Cobra pickup.

Best regards - charly49
28.02.15 17:07
Thanks, Charly! Duly noted your hints! I will check all this and will report back what I did find... Thanks again a lot! Regards. Chris.
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in