Continental 2 Dome Scratch

geschrieben von - posted by tubesglow 
Continental 2 Dome Scratch
26.04.13 18:13
Hello All !
I have a scratch in the dome of this Continental 2 jukebox. Now I know that deep scratches can be a problem to remove. This one is about 2 inches long and is not real deep. Running my fingernail across it, it barely catches. (It is more white in colour, almost like a glancing blow rather than a scratch. I read about the qualities of cerium oxide for removing scratches from glass. I have some and can mix it into a slurry. What is the "best" route to take when applying with a buffer ?
Does anyone have any experience working with cerium oxide ?
There seems to be a lot of videos on the "net" about this process. I'd hate to have to replace the dome if not done properly.

Thanks to all
Tony
Re: Continental 2 Dome Scratch
26.04.13 18:26
Hello Tony,

I would recommend to live with the scratch or to give it to a professional glass workshop.
It can take hours to remove a scratch by polishing the glass. Even if done well it will probably be seen afterwards that a spot had been polished. I would turn the glass so the scratch is on the side or rear.

Best regards - Oliver Stamann
26.09.13 21:39
Hello,
Just to let eveyone know.
You don't need a glass professional for this problem.
I was able to completely remove the 4 inch scratch with a slow rotating "polisher" and a slurry mix of "cerium oxide". The dome is very nice now. Working very slow, with low RPM I was able to completely remove the scratch from the dome glass. This stuff is amazing. It also completely removed other minor scratches. I wish I had found this compound years ago.

Thanks to all...
Tony
27.09.13 07:52
Hi Tony,
Where did you buy the ceriun oxide?
Regards,
Thierry
www.jukebox.lu
27.09.13 18:24
Hello,
I actually bought the cerium oxide from a gentleman on E-bay. He was in Michigan, U.S.A. I believe that 16 oz. cost me around 15 dollars U.S.. I can dig up his e-bay handle if you wish. There apparently are differing "grades", he said his was the "best available". I still have about half the bag left. It is very messy as the polisher throws it around. I did it outside on a large piece of cardboard and I had on old coveralls. Just go slow and take breaks every minute or so. You don't want the glass to heat up. It might crack. Also, keep it fairly wet. It dosen't need a lot of pressure. Let the polisher do the work. Also, keep the RPM as low as possible.
I used a 5 1/4 " 3M Finesse-it knit buffing pad , The polisher attachment was velcro backed and these stick on. I made a puddle of "slurry" in the center of the pad ( about 3 inches across). As for deeper scratches , you might want to try polishing with 2000 grit wet or dry paper, "wet of course". When that is done you can move on to the cerium oxide.
Hope this helps...
Tony
27.09.13 18:44
Hi Tony,

Sounds interesting!
I think i'll order a bag for my future glass restorations.
Please draw me a P.M. with the ebayer's name if you can find it back.

Best greets,
Thierry
27.09.13 22:52
Hallo an Interessierte,
habe diese Adresse gefunden: [www.jracenstein.com]

Gruß
Kurt
29.09.13 13:25
Hallo

Das soll noch besser (schneller) gehen als mit cerium oxide.

[www.ceroxid.com]

Vermutlich gibt's das Mittelchen nur für Großabnehmer (Industriebetriebe).

Und dann gibt es noch die gute alte Diamant Schleifpaste (in verschiedenen Körnungen).

Egal mit welchem Mittel gearbeitet wird. Knochenarbeit wird es immer sein.

Gruß
Roland
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in