Continental 2 Record Transfer Assembly

geschrieben von - posted by tubesglow 
Continental 2 Record Transfer Assembly
03.01.13 15:44
Greetings to all in 2013 !
I have a question regarding the Record transfer inner shoe. It is part number F-2918 in the manual. It works with the L-1070 Transfer arm assembly.
In my haste to get this assembly apart and bead blasted and repainted, I forgot to note which way this part was installed. The manual has been great in this regard, except this.
The unit was rusty and full of hardened grease, so it really needed a good cleaning.
Anyway, the inner shoe (looks like a "T" with the plastic tips to grip the record). I thought both "tips" were the same. Turns out one is slightly larger than the other (it also has a "O" stamped in the arm with the larger plastic tip.)
My question is , which way does this shoe get installed ? It can go in the assembly either way.
Does the larger tip (with the "0") face down ? (in the home postion, "NOT" playing a record) or does it face up ?
Maybe one of the "pros" can elaborate on why one tip is slightly larger than the other.

Thanks to all ,and all the best in the new year.
Tony
Re: Continental 2 Record Transfer Assembly
03.01.13 18:17
Hello Tony

That should be easy to spot. The divisions at the magazine are smaller inside than outside. Therefore also the small holder is pointing downwards, where the magazine slots are narrower.

Best regards and also all the best in the new year - charly49
03.01.13 19:24
Hello Charly49
As always, you have all the answers :)
That might have been easy to spot, except the magazine is not on the assembly. Also, everything is in a million pieces, trying to get this filthy machine cleaned up.
This unit seems to be a lot more work than the wurlitzers I've worked on.
I've been taking apart the solenoid silver contacts one at a time polishing them with a dremel, tipped with a brass brush.
Man, this thing has a ton of them ! and they are ALL black.

Thanks again for the fast response.
Tony
04.01.13 00:11
Hello Tony

I am glad that I could help you. I can imagine that cleaning the contacts with the Dremel and a wire brush is very troublesome. Therefore, I do it differently. I use very fine water sandpaper (grit 800 or 1000), as car painters use it. I cut narrow strips and fold them to the length, with the abrasive side facing outwards. These strips I lead between the silver rivets, press the contacts together with tweezers and work the strip back and forth, until the contact area is shiny. For that I need nothing to disassemble, and the work is done in a short time. The downside of this method is that the contact sheet around the silver rivets is not cleaned. But this is only a visual fault, with the function it has nothing to do.

Best regards - charly49
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in