Continental 2 Amplifier Diode

geschrieben von - posted by tubesglow 
Continental 2 Amplifier Diode
13.12.12 14:58
Hi,
I am re-capping the amplifier (R2777b) and pre-amp in this unit, as well as checking for out of tolerence resisters. I thought I might as well replace the rectifier that is listed as F-8362 in the manual. (It is mounted on the same terminal strip as the 25 MFD @ 50 volt electrolytic ,F-8264). The value of it is not found in the manual. I'm assuming this is part of the bias network. What would be a good replacement ?

Thanks to all ...
Tony
Re: Continental 2 Amplifier Diode
14.12.12 00:40
Hello Tony

You can use any universal diode (eg 1N4002 ... 1N4007) as a replacement. If - 30 VDC is present on the 50 MFD capacitor, it is not necessary to replace the diode. Silicon semiconductors have no aging, they are either good or defective.

Best regards - charly49
14.12.12 12:41
Hello ,
Thank-you Charly49 for the advice on the diode. What are your thoughts on replacing the ceramic disc capacitors ?
I know they rarely go bad, but if I'm re-capping anyway.. My logic would say that the more modern components would keep the machine playing longer into the future trouble free. Besides, I actually enjoy this type of work :)

All the best
Tony
14.12.12 17:59
Hello Tony

Ceramic capacitors are very rarely defective. Most only need to be replaced because a lead is broken.

More modern means not always better. On the contrary, I think most of the components installed today will not work as long as the old parts from the fifties. The improvement of the technical capabilities are not used to improve the quality, but to save money on the production. For this reason I replace capacitors only when the capacitance value is different, the insulation resistance is not infinitely high (above the measurable range) or if mechanical damage is seen. In electrolytic capacitors can also be examined the ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance). For it is not necessarily a measuring device needed. Any increase in temperature of the condenser during extended operation indicates an increased ESR .or a reduced insulation resistance.

Best regards - charly49
14.12.12 19:08
Hello,
Thanks again for the feedback. It's always nice to here the advice from the pro's. With all of the "junk" coming out of China nowadays I can see why the "old" stuff will last a lot longer. It was made much better.
I keep thinking it is the late 70's , early 80's when you could still buy things that would last a lifetime.
Silly me.. You have changed my way of thinking. (at least in regards to electronic components )

Thanks again
Tony
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in