Rockola 1454

geschrieben von - posted by graham 
Rockola 1454
16.09.08 19:57
Good Evening Fellow Rockola Owners

I have recently bought a 1454 assembled by NOVA in Hamburg and it seems to be different to all other 1454's I've seen because it has 2 x 12 inch Celestion Speakers - not the usual 15 inch Bass and Horn. They look original. Also the Amplifier is different as it has only 4 Valves with 2 X EL34's. Was this a special version for NOVA (all of the markings are in German)
I would like to know if anyone has any details about this particularly a schematic for the Amplifier, please ?

Also I have a problem with it: When the Record Magazine goes clockwise it will not stop correctly at at a selection, instead it overuns slightly then stops but does not pick up any selections. It will only pick up a record when it has reversed (anti-clockwise).

I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who can help.

Thank you for reading this

Best regards
Graham
Re: Rockola 1454
17.09.08 08:36
Hello Graham,

after WW2 there were exchange restrictions and it was difficult to import jukeboxes from USA. Therfore many devices were manufactured in Europe. The major parts, like the mechanism, came from the USA. Other parts, like amplifier, cartridge and lighting, was made in Europe. I have never seen a "German" 1454, later models are very common. (see also [www.jukebox-world.de] )

For a service manual call the operators of the shop. They speak English very well. Propably you can get a schematic for the German amplifier.

Your problem could be caused by a too big clearance of the record magazine. It may not be possible to move the magazine more than 2 to 3 millimeters left and right. Otherwise the magazine motor is to adjust.

Best regards - charly49
17.09.08 09:10
Dear charly49

Thank you very much for your very excellent and helpfull advice.

Best regards
Graham
17.09.08 15:15
Hello Graham
A friend of mine here near Regensburg has a "german" 1454, too.
It has two 12" speakers and no horn.
The amp and power supply are made in Germany.
The cabinet has outside a little bit different color (lighter colors) than the US model.

One reason for your "stop problem" can be the following:
The black selector carriage in the Rock-Ola models up to model 1454 has two seperate sections to adjust, one section is for searching in clockwise direction and the other section is for the opposite direction.
These two adjustable sections on the carriage are fixed with two screws on each end of one section.
If you loose both screws, one on each end, you can slide the section a little bit to the left or the right and so you can adjust the correct stop position in relation to the record magazin.

A second reason for your "stop problem" can be that the "dynamic stop" of your magazine motor does not work. It stops not quick enough.
To stop the magazine motor immediately if a selector pin is detected by the carriage, a short circuit on the field coil of the magazine motor is closed with the help of a micro switch.
Maybe the contacts of the microswitch are dirty.
But if this would be the reason, the problem should appear in both directions of the turning record magazine.

A third reason for your problem can be a bad contact on your interlock relay.
But if this would be the reason, the problem should appear in both directions of the turning record magazine.

To find a record in any magazine direction depends on the switch behind the gripper motor. This switch is moved if the magazine reaches its ends (turning clockwiese or counterclockwise).
The switch is responsible for the change of the direction of the magazine a n d for the selctor pin detecting contacts on the carriage (odd or even selction).
If all records from one magazine direction are not found, I would have a look at this switch and would clean the contacts first.

The best solution would be you order the manual here from the shop. There you will find an adjustment description.

Best wishes from Regensburg
Axel
17.09.08 16:57
Wow Axel, you guys really know Rockolas

This is tremendous help to me and it's clear I need a copy of the manual. I will order one now.

Thank you very much indeed.

Best regards
Graham
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in