Rock-Ola problem

geschrieben von - posted by vellu 
Rock-Ola problem
09.07.22 08:40
Hi
Which could cause the problem shown in the picture.There is no contact fault or segment fault.
The device has been out of use for many years.Please give suggestions
r. vellu

Re: Rock-Ola problem
09.07.22 10:42
Hello vellu,
on the hit-tracker pcb, check the display driver IC's socket / solder joints / ribbon cable connector pins. The IC could also be defective, in case the internal display on the hit-tacker works ok, you can find out by swapping IC204 and IC 203.
Regards Jürgen
11.07.22 05:09
Hello Jurgen, and many thanks, both ic are broken because the fault followed when I exchanged them,now I have to start hunting for new ones, do you have any ideas?

R .vellu
11.07.22 18:02
Hello velli,
sometimes on ebay, or make inquiry at one of the chip brokers. [www.digipart.com]
Have you tried to clean the pins of the IC`s ?
Rgds Jürgen
12.07.22 08:04
Such mal nach MM57163N Display Module Rock-Ola im Australischen e-bay .
12.07.22 10:03
Ganz so weit muss man nicht gehen:
[www.jukebox-revival.eu]

Im Notfall gibt's auch noch einen Adpater mit neuer Elektronik:
[www.bartoxsystems.com]

1 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 12.07.22 10:05.
15.07.22 08:06
Yes, I have polished the pins, it didn't help, otherwise is the circuit a voltage regulator for display only or does it have another function?
Thank you for the information on the place of purchase, I ordered the circuits from Germany, thank you all. I will send a message how it went(repair).
15.07.22 16:08
Hello vellu,
the circuit is not a voltage regulator but a display controller IC. It receives the binary data from the pop-meter controller (IC1201), decodes it into 7-segment format and outputs it sequencially to each digit of the 3 panels. The sequence is so fast that your eye does not recognize the flickering. This is the reason why on all digits the same segments (a and c) are missing. By the way, the last digit of #3 looks different, this could mean that it is supposed to show actually a "8" or there is second problem in the controller IC or in the display.
Bets regards
Jürgen
15.07.22 22:54
@ knoesterkopp

Bartoxsystems ist der Anbieter im Australischen e-bay . winking smiley
24.07.22 11:07
Now i got ic 57163( 3x) and record display started to work :), but "credit" card didn't, question ,can i test is the card itself broken or displaycard,in easy way(my skills :( )? And Swen thanks ,i wrote to Bartox fellow and asked, can i modify his system to suit my model (476). There are not answered yet.
24.07.22 14:41
Hello vellu,
have you changed the MM57163 in the Profit Setter? You could check the display connector and its solder joints on the Profit Setter and on the display card. I'm afraid there is no easy way to test the display on its own. What's the failure on the Credit display, is the Record Playing display working?
Rgds Jürgen
25.07.22 08:27
Credit Display wird über den Profit Setter angesteuert . Hier ist ebenfalls ein MM57163 verbaut . Die Frage ist aber läuft die Box ansonsten ? Kannst du wählen ? Das muss Funktionieren auch wenn der MM57163 auf dem Profit Setter defekt ist . Leider sind bei den Boxen auch oft die Tasten nicht mehr so Kontaktfreudig ( muss man halt Zerlegen und Reinigen ) wodurch eine Wahl oft schwierig wird . Aber man kann anhand der roten LED 's sehen ob der PS arbeitet . Wenn der Korb einen Umlauf macht dann leuchtet idr. auch Playing Now . Wenn du z.B. eine 1 drückst sollte die LED Your Selektion an gehen . Wenn das Funktioniert kann man davon aus gehen das der PS arbeitet und "nur" der Display Treiber defekt ist . Wenn nicht dürfte der PS defekt sein .
27.07.22 16:38
Yes i have changed it (2x) ,I'll try to test the screen next time I go to the "workshop", thanks Jurgen
Thanks Swen, yes the device works perfectly and the LEDs too, only the numbers are missing, what do you suggest

Otherwise have any knows is Bartox Systems company "in live"because no one answer

27.07.22 17:15
Hello vellu,
if you have a multimeter, measure the voltage between pin 1 and 17 of the 2 displays on the board. You should read around 2.4VAC. This is the filament voltage of the VFD displays. They work like tubes, without heating, they remain dark even if the MM57163 on the profit setter and cables/connectors are ok.
Best regards Jürgen
28.07.22 08:08
Wäre jetzt auch mein erster Ansatz , Heizspannung Prüfen .
28.07.22 15:33
Now I measured the voltage, it is 2.45 approx. when I plug the connector the voltage drops to 2.15 vac. do you know if it is critical
29.07.22 06:49
2.15V is not a major concern, display brightness may be reduced a bit. In addition, please measure the DC (offset) voltage from both filament wires to Ground, it should be around -17VDC. Just to be sure there is no ground problem.

If you can`t find someone to swap components with you from a working box, here some ideas to check /double check:

1) Check display connector solder joints on the profit setter, clean connector contacts on the display board, check cable.

2) Check display controller supply voltage at connctor P704, -21V between pin1 and pin 4

3) Display controller IC701, try confirmed good IC from Hit Tracker, check socket contacts and solder joints of socket.
Static voltages of IC701 measured to GND (pin1 P704):
- pin 23: OV (GND)
- pins 11 and 14: 9V
- pin 24: -21V

Rgds
Jürgen

3 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 29.07.22 18:01.

31.07.22 15:57
Thanks for the advice Jurgen, I made measurements and everything was ok (I think) -20.8v 8.7v, I cleaned and soldered many points and also changed the circuit but no result.
What do you think, does 702 or 703 have any effect?
01.08.22 16:02
Hello vellu,
the attached picture shows what's going on here in the circuit.
I assume you measured all "static" voltages by now with the multimeter.
* 2.4VAC between the Filament wires of the VFD and -17VDC between Filament and Ground
* All voltages on the MM57163 including GND pin! (If the GND pin has no GND, the chip won`t work either) You don`t need to worry about the transformer and the zener diode. They are located in the power supply and shared with the other displays in the box, so these components are ok.

That`s all you can do with the multimeter. Ok, one more. You can measure pin 11 (9V) on the MM57163 and then press the reset button, the voltage should go to 0V. This confirms that the chip is getting a correct reset.

From here, you would need a oscilloscope to see the voltage pulses on the VFD Display's "Grid" and "Segment" (Anode) pins. If there are pulses (around 0/-21V) ,VFD heating is ok but Display is still dark, this measurement will confirm that the VFD displays are defective.
If you had an adjustable dual voltage supply (approx. 2V and 15-20V) you could also do a basic test of the VFD without the profit setter.

In case the VFD is good, the only remaining problem would be that the display chip is not getting data from the MPU. (IC703). You could check the 6 wires between IC703 and IC704 with a Ohm measurement (pin to pin directly at the IC body, power off).
IC 702 is the memory, I would assume it`s good if everthing except the display works.

If you don`t fully understand this, please get some help from a local electronics guy.

Best regards
Jürgen

22.08.22 17:05
Jurgen, thank YOU very much for your great support and effort.
I examined the device with a logic pen (old school :) ) and found the fault in ic703. I ordered it from China and guess what, it started working. Covid gave an additional challenge, sorry for the delay in telling you,
(summary = two 57163 and 5782 have been exchanged)

Best regards Vellu
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in