Wurlitzer 2100 Classic CD

geschrieben von - posted by Mike L 
Wurlitzer 2100 Classic CD
19.06.21 10:13
Hello

I am working on a W2100 Classic CD jukebox with a display fault on the 2 Touch screens. The jukebox otherwise works ok, but you cannot make any selections as the displays and the selection keys do not work.

I need some guidance please, ideally from someone who knows how this aspect is programmed.
I can manually boot up the display box. This seems to have been made separately, and is based on a WinXP mini computer, in a separate metal box. It initially boots up with a "Denim" logo, and seems to be programmed by these people via a solid state drive.
The initial problems found were swollen capacitors on the main computer board (repaired), a flat CMOS battery (replaced) and a faulty Radeon graphics card (replaced).
It will now power up manually via an add-on switch wired into the main board, but will not respond if the box is replaced back into the jukebox. The program only starts as far as a warning message stating it expects a dual monitor environment (both video outputs are connected to screens; I've even tried different monitors) but I cannot get the system to progress beyond this.
I can get into the WinXP system (connecting a keyboard and mouse, which are recognised), but it refuses to convert the language away from Italian (I am English, and this makes life difficult).
I also cannot get the system to operate with two monitors or make any video setting changes "stick". Both screens do work, but only if the video leads are swapped to the Radeon PCI card output socket. I have accessed the video calibration program, but even when identified as "Screen 1" (in this case the right hand screen) the calibration touch points only respond on the left hand screen.

I suspect the BIOS is now corrupted / changed from initial jukebox installation, and maybe there are program changes still needed via WinXP ?
I also do not understand how the Denim box will switch on / power up automatically when the jukebox is switched on - I am having to press my extra start button every time to power up the computer PSU..
There is absolutely no mention of anything helpful to do with this Denim system in the jukebox manual, other than explaining the displays and selections once the machine has powered up properly (which it currently will not do).
Maybe one for later, but the small flatbed scanner (connected via UScool smiley also powers up (green LED), but does not seem to be recognised in the WinXP Control Panel.

Is there anyone out there who can help with this please ? Maybe even an owner who might be able to provide the Denim box computer settings that work on their machine.

Thank you

Mike
Re: Wurlitzer 2100 Classic CD
19.06.21 11:05
Das wird schwierig da nicht so viele Classic 2100 verkauft wurden das man damit Reparatur Erfahrungen Sammeln konnte . Wenn ich das von der Markteinführung noch Richtig im Kopf habe dann ist aber der Computer für die TFT und Scanner eine Geschichte und der Rest eine eigene für sich . Somit sollte der reine Jukeboxteil aus den Standard Komponenten wie sie auch in einer OMT verbaut sind bestehen .

In sofern wenn die SCC nicht Anläuft die Typischen verdächtigen Prüfen . Spannungsversorgung , Reset Kreis und Prozessor / PIA .

Beim Rechner bin ich Raus ich hab da nur noch was im Hinterkopf das es schon bei Markteinführung Kopfschütteln darüber gab . Von wegen da schon Veraltet .

Zum Thema Hochfahren des Rechners leite ich mal von den Touchgeräten ab . Hier gab es damalas ganz viele Mainboards für den AT Netzteil Anschluss da diese sofort hochfuhren ( zwei 5 polige Stecker ) . Man konnte die nicht durch ein ATX ersetzen selbst wenn man die Start Funktion des ATX Netzteils gebrückt hat weil die Zeitverzögerung gefehlt hat bis das Netzteil angeschwungen war und der "Startknopf" bereit war . Von ADP gab es für die Trendy dafür eigens eine Verzögerungsplatine damit die Netzteile anliefen . Wenn dein Mainboard also für AT Netzteile gebaut wurde und du ein ATX Netzteil als Ersatz verwendest dann wird das ohne Trickschaltung nicht Funktionieren es sei denn Wurlitzer hat so eine Schaltung über die SCC Realiesiert .
19.06.21 12:31
Thank you, Swen, for your quick reply.

I think I follow your comments, via Google Translate - your understanding if English is far better than mine of German (which is not unusual in England !)
Your memory is correct from what I can work out - the main part of the jukebox is OMT. The current problem is that CDs can not be selected as the display side of things also controls the selections, and so it can only be operated via the random play switch.
The jukebox itself powers up fine.

It is interesting that you think the display power supply (Denim box) may be triggered by a signal from the SCC. I can not find a connection, unless there is a USB one via the touch screen monitors somewhere. Which also leads me to think that there may be a BIOS setting somewhere that would allow this external trigger (?)
Your theory about a time delay built in to fire up the ATX power supply might be correct, as there is a separate circuit board in the box that I know nothing of. I'm not sure if this forum allows photographs, but I could post one if it would help.

At the moment the mini ATX mainboard and the power supply are original, as delivered with the jukebox, inside the Denim box. The only board changed inside the Denim box is the PCI graphics card (Radeon 7000), which I was careful to source as an identical replacement in case there were driver issues. I have added a separate start pushbutton as it was the only way I could get the Denim / ATX PSU to start up.

I have begun to realise from other internet searches that this was not a very reliable machine, right from the early days.

Than you for any further observations / comments.

Mike
19.06.21 13:13
Hello Mike,
if the CMOS battery was flat, your BIOS lost the custom settings and is now running with the default settings. Most boards support a function called "Restore on AC Power Loss", in AMI BIOS its`s hiding in the Advanced Power Settings and can be set to "Power On".
Rgds Jürgen

1 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 19.06.21 13:16.
20.06.21 10:08
Hello Jurgen

Thank you for that suggestion. It's very plausible given the earlier conditions. I suppose it all depends whether any custom settings were hard wired via the BIOS and can be retrieved (or not). I will check this out when I can get back to the machine. It is at the owners house which is about 45 minutes away from me, and we are about to go away on holiday so there may be a delay getting back with results.
But thanks once again for taking the trouble to reply.
Here's hoping ...

Regards

Mike
20.06.21 11:13
Hello Mike,
if you find an AMI BIOS on the board, I'm sure it has this feature. I used it on embedded boards for industrial controls when I wanted the maschine to come up after power on.
It is also likely, that there was a custom setting in BIOS for the two displays depending how they were connected. These settings are in Chipset->Northbridge. Default on most embedded systems for the primary panel is LFP (local flatpanel) This is usually a pinheader on the board. Maybe you can find a typenumber or supplier printed on the board and get the HW manual from the Web, check how the panels were originally connected and do it the same way for the new panels. Maybe another owner of this model can look into the BIOS settings and send you the details.
Your OS could also be a customized version. Microsoft offered developer versions for XP, it was used a lot on embedded PC`s to strip down the OS to just what`s needed running the application. Many features you know from your PC may not be installed, like the language pack smiling smiley. However, if you manage to configure the displays in the BIOS, you don`t need to touch the Windows system. It may also be a good idea to find display replacements with the original resolution. Scaling may not work properly or look bad if the HMI design was made for the native panel resolution.
Good luck !
Rgds
Jürgen
20.06.21 13:54
Hello Jurgen

Excellent information - thank you so much.
I will get back to the jukebox when I can, and try out your suggestions.
There will be a bit of a delay getting back to you, due to holidays, but I hope to bring back good news eventually.

Regards

Mike
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in