NSM City IV adjust carrriage position

geschrieben von - posted by Phorward 
NSM City IV adjust carrriage position
08.03.20 15:29
Hello everyone,

I recently bought this jukebox and have now fixed some faulty parts, the clutch rod and the record transfer arm. And after taking the carriage apart, cleaning it and applying new grease and oil, I have now got it working.

The only problem now is that the carriage is placed a little to the left when playing records so that the records rotate against the slot divider. In the parking position, there's a piece of black metal that I assume tells the box where to park the carriage. It's adjustable, so I thought that moving it a bit to the right would help, but that wasn't the case.

See the picture "carriage1.jpg" on how the carriage is too far left causing the record to rotate against the divider.
See the picture "adjust1.jpg" for the piece of metal that I had hoped would fix the problem.

Is there a way to adjust the position the carriage have when playing records?

Re: NSM City IV adjust carrriage position
08.03.20 18:59
Hello P,
does the problem occur for every record?
Regards PitinWHV.
08.03.20 19:32
I tried some different positions right now and it seems like it's the lower numbers on the far left that is worse. Records more to the right are positioned correctly.
It's not really that bad. But if it's possible to calibrate in some way then that would be great.
09.03.20 06:56
Könnte sein das sich die Schwungmasse auf der Achse verschoben hat .
09.03.20 16:13
Phorward
I tried some different positions right now and it seems like it's the lower numbers on the far left that is worse.

Hello P,
are you absolutely sure about that?
"seems" is not a very precise description.
Another question, how long does the problem already exist?
Regards PitinWHV.
09.03.20 18:14
So far I have just tried a few positions. The ones to the right and the middle looks OK but program 100 to 111 (slots 1 to 6) all have the record touching the left divider.
I will soon have the box fully loaded with records and will be able to investigate further.

I have only had the jukebox for a couple of weeks and have been repairing it and it's only the day before yesterday that I got it working for the first time.
23.03.20 18:54
The box is now fully loaded with records and I have played records in different positions. The position of the carriage is indeed more misaligned the further to the left it travels. Like I said, it's not a very big deal. On the leftmost position it is positioned a little more than two millimetres left of where it should be. The further right it stops the better aligned with the slot it gets. So that in the middle it's about 1 mm left of the centre of the slot and on the slots most to the right it's perfectly aligned.

When playing the leftmost records, the record touches the plastic divider a little bit. Not enough to cause a problem so I can live with it but if there's a way to adjust it then that would be good.
23.03.20 19:08
The service manual offers a short note about adjusting the carriage base.
Maybe it gives you a better idea if you did it that way.

Hildegard

23.03.20 19:17
Thanks! I will try this.
24.03.20 09:09
Hello Phorward

The carriage is fixed in the play position by a lever engaging in a notch on the gear rack. If I remember correctly, the gear rack consists of three parts that are screwed onto the metal rod. I could imagine that the screws are loose and that there is a small gap between the individual parts. This could explain why the compartments of the record magazine do not match the teeth of the rack over the entire length.

Best regards - charly49
28.03.20 15:23
Thanks for the suggestion. I have checked and the gear rack is fixed.
I tried making adjustments following the service manual but it didn't make much of a difference except after one adjustment it picked the wrong record so I set it back to how it was before.
I think I'll just let it be as it is for now.
28.03.20 18:46
Hello Phorward,

both NSM Cities I repaired up to now had a similar problem. At the left position records touched the magazine while being played.
The axis of the left roller which hold the carriage on the rack has moved out. It must not stick out more than the one on the right side. Otherwise the roller travels along its axis and the carriage does not sit parallel to the magazine anymore.

Regards
Jens
28.03.20 19:35
Hi Jens,

Thanks, that's good advice.
It was actually like this when I bought the box. Probably because the previous owner might have been a little violent when removing the carriage. When servicing the carriage, I pushed the axis back in place but it still was a little too much to the left.
What I did now was that I moved one of the washers on the right roller so that it's on the inside. This made the carriage adjusted a little so that the record no longer touches the magazine. It's a work around but it seems like it works.

On my carriage there's three washers all facing the magazine. An iron washer, then a thin brass washer, and another iron washer. It was one of the iron washers that I moved so that it's on the inside of the roller, against the carriage.

Cheers,
Hans (aka Phorward)
29.03.20 16:01
Hello Jens,
are that (red) the parts you have rearranged?
Regards BtS.

Knoesterkopp
Hello Phorward,

both NSM Cities I repaired up to now had a similar problem. At the left position records touched the magazine while being played.
The axis of the left roller which hold the carriage on the rack has moved out. It must not stick out more than the one on the right side. Otherwise the roller travels along its axis and the carriage does not sit parallel to the magazine anymore.

Regards
Jens

30.03.20 20:11
Hello,

yes, this roller was loose. But its mounting differs from the drawing. The older version consists of a bearing used as the roller, a washer on each side and a special screw as axis (like in the drawing).
The newer version uses a dowel pin with a groove and an E-clip as axis. It is pressed into a blind hole in the carriage base. Maybe the trapped compressed air is one of the causes for it moving out over time.

Regards
Jens
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in