Selector problem on Wurlitzer 1015! Solved!

geschrieben von - posted by Bo Korposoff 
Selector problem on Wurlitzer 1015! Solved!
13.03.18 11:29
I have big problem with the selector mechanism on my Wurlitzer 1015.

When I select record number 1 the jukebox plays record 20, 1, 24, 23, 22, 21 and 20.

When I try to select record 24 nothing happens.

If I select record 23 the jukebox play record 19 first and then record 23.

Would be grateful if anyone could help how to fix this. I live in Sweden we have very few people who understand how W1015 works so it’s hard to find anyone here to fix this.

Best regards

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden

-------------------------
Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden

1 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 07.08.18 21:08.
Re: Selector problem on Wurlitzer 1015!
13.03.18 18:57
Hello Bo

The selections your 1015 plays after you selected one single button
selected No 1 ---> plays no`s 20, 1 , 24, 23, 22, 21 and 20
selected No 23 ---> plays no 19 and than 23

To the "first" mistake :
The multiple plays are always the same numbers after you select No 1 ?
Because these multiple selections sounds to me like pure chance, not like a logical mistake.

If the multiple plays after one selction is pure chance, I would think that your mechanism stuck and needs oil on every moving part.

The "second" mistake, that your 1015 takes no 19 first and after that the selected no 23 sounds like a mistake in the adjustment of the mechanism.
This mistake should always occure, if your last record, you played was for example the 22 and the mechanism stopped there.
And if the next selection you make ( the mechanism starts again ) is the number which is one number lower as the last time played number ( here no 21 ).
That means : if you played no 5 and the machine stopped there and you make the next selction no 4, it should happen that it plays no 2 or no 3 instead of no 4 and after this wrong number 2 or 3 it plays the selected no 4.

The second mistake, playing one or two numbers "before" the selected number can be solved by adjusting the movement of the "segment gear" ( 1015 manual, parts section, page 10 ). And the angle that the "segment gear" moves is adjusted by the screw on the "segment gear plate".
If you turn the screw a little bit clockwise ( 90° can be enough ! and fix it again !) the segmant gear will move a wider angle and the mechanism will not stop at no 19, but will move further to the selected no 23.
It`s hard to explain that in english .....

Hope I could explain my opinion .... and you understand my explanations.
Best wishes Axel
13.03.18 20:58
Thank you very much for your information!

I have tried to select record number 1 for five times and W1015played the as you can see below:

Selected record = Played records

1 = 18, 1
1 = 24, 1, 24, 23, 22, 21
1 = 20, 1, 24, 23, 22, 21
1 = 20, 1
1 = 4, 1

I have also notice that if I try to play record 24 nothing happens.

Another notice is that the lamp in "Make selections" sometimes is of despite I have a free play plug in the machine. Sometimes the "Make selections" light up slowly, very strange.

Is it many different faults on the jukebox or just the one you describe who could give this symptom?

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden
13.03.18 21:10
Sorry

The last selection should be:

1 = 24, 1 (not 4,1)

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden
13.03.18 21:50
Hello Bo

If you select no 1 button, only one pin on the rear side of the selector should be come out.
You can observe this by looking behind the selctor, maybe with a mirror.
Don`t look behind the selector when the mechanism is running .... because the motor is near the selector turning.

If the mechanism stopps on different positions without any pin of the selector is set ( beside the no 1 pin you selected ),
you mechanism has problems to run, I think because of dirt, old oil and no fresh oil where it would be needed.

If the no 24 is not working, it can be a not working contact in the no 24 pushbutton or/and it can be a not working ( damaged ) selctor coil.
If the "make selection light" will not light up in the right way, I think you pushbutton contacts are dirty and give no good contact.
The contacts of the pushbuttons should be clean and silver not dirty ( first two pictures )

Did you buy this 1015 unrestored or restored ?
After 72 years the complete Jukebox should disassembled and cleaned.
If this work is done, your 1015 works again for many years without any trouble.

A cleaned mechanism should look like this .... ( third Ppicture ....it`s a W 800 mech, but this is very similar to the 1015 mech )

Best wishes
Axel

13.03.18 23:06
Hi,

I bought the jukebox as a light restored box with patina, but I Think as you say that its bad contact pushbuttons. It's maybe also a broken coil for record 2r4. I will measure the coil tomorrow.

My mechanism looks dirty but with oil and absolute not as cleaned as your picture. I would really do a cleaning of the mechanism, so it looks as the photo, but I am not sure if I could manage that.

I have probably serval different faults to fix.

One problem is that it’s not so easy to take out the mechanism from W1015. I think that 1100 had an easier construction their it was possibly to pull out the mechanism from the cabinet?

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden
13.03.18 23:41
Hello Bo

It`s easy to take out the mech from the cabinet. There are four bolts, two on each side near the cabinet.
But first you have to pull
- the motor plug from the junction box
- the selector plug from the junction box
You have to unscrew the three title board light sockets on the front of the mech board.

If all wiring is disconnected and the four bolts are taken out, you can slide out the complete mech with the wooden board from the rear side of cabinet.

If you want a really clean mechanism, you have to take the complete mech in parts and clean every single part.
It`s a lot of work ..... around 50 hours or more only for the mech.

Best wishes Axel

14.03.18 11:11
It looks fantastic clean!

Maybe I should start a long-term restore project and try to learn in detail how W1015 works.

I really appreciate all information from you as an expert on Wurlitzer 1015 and probably all boxes with 24 mechanisms!

Thank you for all help!

I will see if I can perhaps start to clean the pushbuttoms in the weekend.

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden
31.07.18 06:50
It’s long time since my last post about my problem.

I have started again to try to fix the jukebox. I have cleaned the push buttons and some of the record mechanism.

Things works better now.

I have two remaining errors.

A. If I try to select record 24 nothings happens. I think it could be the coil, so I have bought a selector coil to test if this will cure this problem. I need help to identify selector coil 24 on the selector wheel. Which one of the coils is number 24?

B. The last problem is that the jukebox plays two records when I select one. It seems to always be the record before the one I have selected. If I select umber 13 it takes first number 12 and then number 13. This will not happen always but mostly.

I suppose the jukebox needs adjustment of the movement of the "segment gear" as you have described? Could you give me any advice how to do this adjustment?

If I can fix problem A and B I think the jukebox is ok.

Regards
Bo

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden

1 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 01.08.18 21:19.
31.07.18 21:22
Hello Bo

To identify the #24 selector coil is easy. It is between #23 and #1.
So disconnect the main motor of your 1015 and select #1 and #24..... and look on the rear side of the selector .....
The #24 coil should be on the 12 o`clock position ( or close by ) on the selector, if I remember correct.

Your second problem is not so easy to fix.....

Your mistake occure only in a special case :
If the last selected number was for example the #15 and the mech parked there after playing the last selected #15 record and you want to play the #14, the selector crank ( page 14 in the parts list of the 1015 ) has to turn nearly 360° ( is is exactly 345° ) to reach the selected #14 pin. But because of a wrong adjustment of the screw on the segemnt gear roller plate, your selector crank only turns less than the needed 345° ( don`t reach the #14 pin ) and plays #13.
After playing the not selected #13 record, the #14 pin is still set ( the micro switch on the face of the selector is still in ON possition ) and the selector crank turns to the set #14 and plays that selection.

Your second mistake within the mech is caused by a wrong adjustment of the set screw of the segment gear roller:

If you have a look on page 10 of the parts list of the 1015 manual, you see on top the complete segment gear assembly.
On the part number 29353 ( plate assembly, segment gear ) you see a roller and a set screw with nut.
To solve the selection problem, you have to loosen the nut and turn the screw a quarter turn clockwise and lock the nut again.
After that, you have to test whether the correct record will be played : look at what number the mech had parked after the last selection ( for exmaple #5 ) than push the #4 button to set the #4 pin on the selector.
If the set screw on the segment gear roller plate was adjusted correct, the selector crank should reach the #4 pin after a 345° turn.
If the machine plays again the number before the selected number ( in the example #3 instead of the selected #4, you have to adjust the set screw of the segment gear roller plate a second quarter turn, like described above.

Hope I could describe the procedure in a understandable way .....

Best wishes Axel
01.08.18 07:06
Hi,

Thanks you for your reply.

I Think the second problem with wrong adjustment of the segment gear will not be to hard for me to adjust. I will try to fix it tonight if my wife doesn’t have other plans for me. . . .

The first problem with record 24 feels more confusing. Yesterday I used an Ohm meter to check all the coil. I connected the Ohm meter to the ground wire on the selector unit and tried to check all the coils. I couldn’t find any faulty coils with shorts.

I have also measured from ground wire on the selector unit to all connections on the plug you put in junction box and all coils seemed to work.

Next step after that was to remove the junction box and look after any obvious problem but I couldn’t find any suspicious problem.

When I push the 24 button I could also hear a sound from the relay in the junction box, so the cleaned push buttons seem to work. I will locate the 24 coils today and look closely if I could find any suspicious problem. Maybe you have any idea why the jukebox doesn’t start to play the record when I select number 24? Strange problem.

Regards
Bo

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden

5 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 02.08.18 13:22.
01.08.18 19:19
I have tried to losen the lock nut for the segment gear but it's very tight.

And it's also very little space and hard to access the lock nut and turn it up.

Maybe you have any advice how to more easy access the lock nut on the segment gear?

Perhaps I have to take out the record mechanism from the cabinet?

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden

3 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 02.08.18 13:25.
01.08.18 20:50
I have not been abel to adjust the segment gear yet.

However I have made a lot of selections on the jukebox with this result:

Select record 1 gives 1, 24, 23, 22, 21, 20, 19
Select record 7 gives 7
Select record 13 gives 6, 13
Select record 19 gives 12, 19

Select record 1 gives 18, 1, 24, 23, 22, 21, 20
Select record 7 gives -
Select record 13 gives 13, 7
Select record 19 gives 19

Select record 1 gives 18, 1, 24, 23, 22, 21, 20
Select record 7 gives 7
Select record 13 gives 6, 13
Select record 19 gives 12, 19

This makes no sense for me. Could you understand why the jukebox do like this?

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden
03.08.18 13:39
Hello Bo

You can test your mech easy whether it runs as it should or not :

Take off the complete selector ( only the selector and not the switch below ), press one button to activate one coil on the selector and so the small microswitch on the front side of the selector would be activared ( closed ), too.
This microswitch is closed if one coil is activated and the closed switch let the main motor begin to turn.

If you mech would work correct, the mech should play one selection after the other and in the way, that it starts for example with the #7, after that #6, after that #5 and so on ( selection for selection in reverse direction ) without end.

If this don`t happens, it is not well adjusted and maybe not well lubricated.

Best wsihes Axel
05.08.18 07:24
I decided to take out the mechanism from the jukebox cabinet, so I have built a platform of wood so now it’s possible for me to run the jukebox and see exactly how it works. Yesterday I also did a cleaning of the mechanism. The mechanism wasn’t so dirty.

However, it should be easier now to do adjustment of the jukebox.

I have found the problem with record 24. It's problem with the push button set. When I push in the button all the way it lose a connection but if I push in the button gently an stop maybe 1 mm before stop it plays record 24.

I do not know if I can disassemble the push button set and fix it or if I must try to find a new one.

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden

2 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 05.08.18 12:40.
smiling smileyRe: Selector problem on Wurlitzer 1015!
05.08.18 12:42
After cleaning and lubrication the jukebox works again and just play the record I have selected!

It seems I fix the problem with just cleaning!

I have also found the problem with the push button for record 24 and think I have fix this also.

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden

1 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 06.08.18 07:15.
Re: smiling smileyRe: Selector problem on Wurlitzer 1015!
18.09.18 20:39
Bo Korposoff
I have also found the problem with the push button for record 24 and think I have fix this also.

Hi Bo,

how did you fix that issue?

Regards Kai
Re: smiling smileyRe: Selector problem on Wurlitzer 1015!
10.10.18 07:24
Sorry for very late replied. I didn't got any email notification so I missed you post.

I used an ultrasonic wash and washed switches in the respective push button group. After that, the contacts became clean and work well.

Bo Korposoff

Stockholm / Sweden
Re: Selector problem on Wurlitzer 1015! Solved!
10.10.18 08:11
Perfect, thanks for sharing this information.

Regards Kai
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in