Rockola 431

geschrieben von - posted by amrap1 
Rockola 431
22.03.15 00:48
Found a RO 431. It needs some work. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Newbie 1st class

2 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 24.03.15 23:50.
Re: Rockola 431
22.03.15 00:53
A few photos

2 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 24.03.15 23:44.
Cle
22.03.15 14:35
Hello amrap1,

helping you might be easier if you let us know what your problem is.

Regards
Clemens
22.03.15 16:44
Ok...here is what I have so far.

I now have the ROCK-OLA Service manual for Model 431 "Coronado" or the "newest member of a proud family of quality phonographs" Figured out how to take the back and front panels off. Sure beats reaching in through the top!

When I flip the power switch, I get a CLICK that sounds like a contactor closing. There is a slight humm from a small transformer on the right side of the cabinet in front of the power supply.

I know the free play button is on since I don't have to insert coins before the selector buttons stay pushed in. When I push the second button, I get a click from the write in box (40121-A), the light on it flashes and then NOTHING.

Just went back and tried it again to make sure what was happening. When I turned it on, I didn't get the click AND the selector buttons weren't working. I pushed the free play button...got a click and the selector buttons worked. This time the write in carriage assembly arm rotated about 1/2 a turn and the selector buttons popped back up and nothing else.

Just started it over and the selector buttons stayed pushed in and NOTHING at all happened.

UPDATE: I have learned that there should be a cover over the back half of the write-in assembly. I removed the assembly and the contacts are very oxidized. I suspect that someone may have determined it was the problem and never replaced it or put the cover back on. I found one for $100. It should be here Monday the 23rd.

While waiting for that, I'm going to attempt to get the chromed piece off around the selector buttons, since it is very rough and probably needs refinishing.

ARGH....(Yoda Voice: Puzzling this thing is!)

Newbie 1st class

24.03.15 02:40
Newbie 1st class checking in:

While waiting for the Write-in Assembly I worked on the Tone Arm. I noticed wires taped together. Pics attached

The write in assembly arrived and while installing it I found a disconnected wire on the coin switch connector.{ Note to self: check all connectors for loose wires! } Also realized that my eyes are to old for soldiering small wires to small terminals!!

Anyway, turned the Juke on and pushed selector A then 1. The selector arm moved around. Nothing else happened. Selected a lot of different combinations and the arm moved to different locations on the carriage. So the write-in assembly was part of the problem!

So I guess it's on to the manual to see if I can figure out what's next. Not very good at reading schematics and wiring diagrams! When I got into this restore I thought it was less electrical and more mechanical...I guess I was wrong.

Newbie 1st class

24.03.15 06:41
The pictures are too small, a resoluton of 1024x768 or higher would be fine. If the files get to large, you can compress the .JPG with a graphics editor.
25.03.15 01:43
Newbie checking in:

Not a lot of time to work on the Jukebox. Turned it on....heard a click again. Sounds like it's from the left side of the selector buttons. Pushed a selector button and it didn't stay in, ARGH!!!! Decided to put a quarter in it and I got 3 selections! WINNER!!

With each selection the inside wiper moved to the correct location on the selector. It didn't trip the pivot pin. The outside "read out" assembly didn't move. The manual says they move at the same time. Why doesn't it. Is it the wobble plate switch?

Beginning to think the motor is bad. The service/scan switch doesn't work and the gripper is not over the records.

Newbie 1st class
25.03.15 07:29
Hello Newbie 1st class

The credit and selection system operates completely independently of the changer mechanism. The only connection is the Wobble Plate Switch. This is activated as long as at least one selection lever is set. As long as the Wobble Plate switch is activated, the turntable runs and the mechanism gets power.

The write-in-arm part of the selection system, while the read-out arm belongs to the changer mechanism. He is firmly attached to the record magazine. The record magazine can only move when the gripper arm is over the magazine and is open. This is not the case with you.

First we have to find out why this is so. There are several possibilities. If the turntable is not running, you have no power to the mechanism. A fuse may have blown.

It may be that the mechanism is in play mode (turntable running and the tone arm is on the lead-in groove of the record). This can also be, if the record is missing. The play mode is terminated when the record is finished playing (tonearm in the out groove) or when the Cancel button is pressed. Then the record (or the empty gripper) should be moved to the magazine and the scanning should begin.

Especially at Rock-Ola it often happens that the gripper mechanism is stuck due to gummed grease. In this case, the gripper mechanism should be disassembled and cleaned. Instructions for this are in the archive. [www.jukebox-world.de] .

If you've determined which of the possibilities is true for you, I can give you further instructions.

Best regards - charly49
25.03.15 09:33
Here's a video where you can see the operation of the write-in mechanism.
[www.jukebox-world.de]
25.03.15 21:46
charly49 schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Newbie 1st class
>
> The credit and selection system operates
> completely independently of the changer mechanism.
> The only connection is the Wobble Plate Switch.
> This is activated as long as at least one
> selection lever is set. As long as the Wobble
> Plate switch is activated, the turntable runs and
> the mechanism gets power.

So what you are saying is that the "credit system" meaning money is inserted or free play is selected, you have the right to push the buttons? Now the "selection system" takes over. The wiper arm moves to the corresponding pin and trips it?

> The write-in-arm part of the selection system,
> while the read-out arm belongs to the changer
> mechanism. He is firmly attached to the record
> magazine. The record magazine can only move when
> the gripper arm is over the magazine and is open.
> This is not the case with you.
> First we have to find out why this is so. There
> are several possibilities. If the turntable is not
> running, you have no power to the mechanism. A
> fuse may have blown.

So the read-out arm IS attached to the same shaft that turns the record magazine? So the gripper not moving is where I am being stopped? The turn table is not moving, so I will check the fuses next!

> It may be that the mechanism is in play mode
> (turntable running and the tone arm is on the
> lead-in groove of the record). This can also be,
> if the record is missing. The play mode is
> terminated when the record is finished playing
> (tonearm in the out groove) or when the Cancel
> button is pressed. Then the record (or the empty
> gripper) should be moved to the magazine and the
> scanning should begin.

OH.....this may explain the click I hear when I turn it on. It's the CANCEL switch???? The click is coming from that general area.

> Especially at Rock-Ola it often happens that the
> gripper mechanism is stuck due to gummed grease.
> In this case, the gripper mechanism should be
> disassembled and cleaned. Instructions for this
> are in the archive. '' .
>
> If you've determined which of the possibilities is
> true for you, I can give you further
> instructions.
>
> Best regards - charly49

Thanks....You explained this better than the manual. Manuals are written by and for people who already know how it works!

Newbie 1st class

25.03.15 23:35
1 ST Class Newbie checking in:

Bingo Charly49...a blown fuse! Ohm tested them all. Was going to check them all, but multi-meter was shot. I used it twice in the last 10 years LOL. Was going to buy a new, but forgot about it. Don't get your hopes too high. It's an "old school" analog one. Never was good at electricity. Now off to find some 1.6 amp 28volt V.D.C. fuses. Or should I go old school again and wrap aluminum foil around it to see what happens??? LOL

Thanks again

Newbie 1st class
26.03.15 07:26
Hello Newbe 1st class

It is a good idea to wrap the fuse with aluminum foil. Perhaps the smoke signals will tell you where the fault is located. smiling smiley

The fuses must necessarily be a SLO-BLO version. A fast-acting fuse would blow, even if there is no fault.

Best regards - charly49
27.03.15 01:43
Newbie 2nd class checking in:

Gave myself a promotion since I have now successfully taken 3 parts off and either replaced or repaired them. LOL

Found the fuse I need and installed it. Turned it on and got that click again from near the Reset selector Button. Then magic... the gripper traveled to the record magazine, move inward to grip a record (wasn't one there) and placed the invisible record on the turntable!! The gripped did move as is releasing the record. The tone arm moved into place, but the turn table didn't move.

Tried the service/scan switch and the read-out arm rocked a little. Hear a click...maybe from the power supply.

WOW...BA-ZINGA!

I wondered what the reset switch would do....It should cancel the selected record being played...YEP. The gripper picked up the record and put it back!!!! Made another selection and it picked up the record and moved it to the turntable. I moved the tone arm to the end of the record and the gripper put the record back!!!! I also tapped the tone arm on the record and hear a thump through the speakers....so I must have power to the needle.

Happy Dance......Happy Dance....Happy Dance

So, I'm getting a click from the power supply and the turntable doesn't move. I wonder if the SMALL transformer in front of it that hums could be going bad?

Heading to the manual (ARGH) and think I should get another promotion??? Or am I getting too big for my britches?? LOL

Newbie 1st class

27.03.15 02:49
It's ALIVE.....Thank you thank you JUKEBOX WORLD!!!!!

I know I am not done! Got to clean it up, Lubricate what needs to be Lubricated, get a new needle, better records, clean/restore the chrome.........

Newbie 3rd Class!

In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in