AMI Model H advice - Sometimes the record magazine doesn't spin

geschrieben von - posted by andrewashe 
AMI Model H advice - Sometimes the record magazine doesn't spin
01.02.21 18:30
Hi - Hugely grateful for any advice.
I have a 1957 AMI Model H 200 - that I love and it works really well apart from an occasional fault:

When making a selection - (eg B 5 sometimes (but rarely) the record magazine doesn't start spinning.

This fault is easily fixed. I press the manual rotate button which does start the magazine spinning - I make the magazine do a complete revolution and then press the record select buttons (eg B 5) again - and everything works as normal.
This carries on for a day or so and then the same problem occurs again....

I feel confident opening up the machine and soldering / removing parts adjusting relays etc - just hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction. I am wondering if its a relay that needs cleaning etc.
I do have the manual and can just about follow it! But would love any advice on where to start looking.

I thought I had found issue because the playmeter wheel assembly was not coupled properly to the magazine motor (so the record number was always showing incorrectly because the coupling was slipping - I put a new rubber connector and now that is working fine - ie it now always shows the correct record number in display - but the problem above still happens.)

Thanks in advance for reading this far! Best wishes. Andrew
Re: AMI Model H advice - Sometimes the record magazine doesn't spin
01.02.21 19:23
Hello Andrew,
I think you have to check the scan magnet. It doesn't release the scan control wheel properly. Bad contacts either in the sprag relais or in the scan device itsself can cause this malfunction. Check also the gap between the solenoids and the lever. If the gap ist to large or the spring is to strong it can cause problems.

Greetings!
Helmut
01.02.21 19:36
Helmut - Thanks you so much for this - I will see what I can do! By the way I am based in UK - and I am a new jukebox owner - but very enthusiastic to learn. My main job is working in a non profit in education (onebillion.org) but lockdown has meant I am enjoying learning about the way the jukebox works - Fascinating what was achieved in 1957 using electro mechanical and I am astonished how good the sound is. But many thanks for your advice. I will let you know how I get on! Andrew
02.02.21 07:16
Hi Andrew,

I forgot to post the picture from the manual. Here it is.

Greetings
Helmut

03.02.21 12:15
Hi Helmut.
I have checked the sprag relay and all looks fine there. So now I am trying to access the scan magnet.
I have removed the two items in pink on the attached image.

Can you help me with how to access the scan magnet? Is there a way of removing the scan wheel? I was hoping it might pull forward off its spindle - but it seems unmoveable?

V grateful for any suggestions. I feel if I can access the scan magnet I will find the issue!

Andrew

03.02.21 13:09
Hi Andrew,
You did the wrong way. You have to remove the whole device. This is installed within four screws.
Remove the two red marked, an loosen the two blue marked screws which you can see on the attached file. Loosen the rubber coupling on the basket motor. Then you can pick the full device and turn it backwards.
Take care of the wires!

Greetings Helmut

4 mal bearbeitet. Zuletzt am 03.02.21 17:52.

06.02.21 16:56
Helmut -
Following your great diagram I worked it out and managed to remove the whole device. I think the problem was one go the things you suggested:
"Check also the gap between the solenoids and the lever."

One of the screws was a bit loose and the gap seemed large. I have reduced the gap between the solenoids and the lever slightly - Put it all back together and so far :) the problem hasn't happened again.

Helmut - I am very grateful - I could not have done it without you!

With very best wishes and thank you

Andrew
06.02.21 19:24
Andrew -
I'm glad to read, that you could fix your problem. Thanks so much for your friendly feedback, but don't mention it.
This forum is a reasonable instrument to help or to get help - even over thousands of miles.

All the best and keep on jukin'!

Helmut from Austria
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in