Which jukebox to buy?

geschrieben von - posted by honkytonk 
Which jukebox to buy?
09.10.11 10:08
Hello
I am new to this forum and need some info ...if somebody could be so nice to help.
I would like to buy a jukebox, but which one to buy?
As a studio tech I know that available parts are important - if something shoud break down.
Sound is also important but not as important as parts.
I want to use the jukebox often - so it should rather be a "workhorse" than a "tender lady".
I understand that actual condition is important.
I live on scandinavia - buying fra germany or UK is no problem if prices are good.
Thanks!
Bjorn
Re: Which jukebox to buy?
10.10.11 18:55
Hello Björn!
Your Question is not so easy to solve. Want you and old one from the fifties with visible playing,
or a newer from the seventies? You can get nearly all with different price and conditiones.
You can look in the Archiv to look for nearly all Jukeboxes was ever was built. Also you can look
in the `Anzeigenmarkt` for jukeboxes are to buy now.
All of the Jukeboxes was ever was maked, have different Problemes anytime, but if you have a Manual
and a little technical ´Hand` you can help yourself in the Time. The Best was you can make I think is,
you buy a working one in good optical Condition.
Sorry my english is not so good, I´m an old Austrian.
Best Regards
Willi!
11.10.11 16:40
Hello Björn,

welcome to this forum.

Willi already has given very important hints for looking for a jukebox.
Some aditions:
- calculate for yourself the amount you want to spend
- do you perefer a restored or an unrestored one
- can you fix problems by yourself
- which style do you like
- do you want to play 45 rpm or 78 rpm records or CDs
- is the amount of selections important

Like Willi said almost each model will show up one day offered to buy. But you already mentioned that you want a "workhorse" and that spare parts should be available.

In my opinion I would say that reparaing a rare model can be more tough, expensive or time consuming because it's more difficult to find parts or the needed manuals, schematics. If a model was built quite often it means usually there are more parts machines around. Plus it is easier to find other knowing this model if you need help.

I guess many would say a Rock-Ola is like a workhorse and the electro-mechanical technolcogy isn't too difficult to fix. Also a German Wurlitzer from the 70s is like this. Seeburg is said about having a great sound. But the technology isn't what everybody likes or can repair. Some prefer NSM for repairs because of the compact design and components like amp, carriage or control centre can be taken out and easily send to seombody for a repair.

I would not start with a Wiegandt Tonmaster, NSM Fanfare, Wurlitzer 1500 or a Seeburg KD.
If you buy a late 70s jukebox which already uses computerized technology usually it also gets more complicated to get it repaired. Because not too many work on these jukeboxes. Such models are e.g. Rock-Ola 477 and up, Seeburg SMC1 and up, Rowe R-84 and up. The problem is that some parts are not offered anymore and if you're not a smart technician this might cause some problems.

Like Willi suggested you should look around to find out what models you like. It might be easier then to answer questions about the availability of parts, sound, reliability etc.

If you can deal with German (?) or use an online translator you might want to check out this list. This is a summary of what to keep in mind when buying a jukebox (the list might bnot be complete):
[www.jukebox-world.de]

In which part of Scandinavia are you located? Maybe there is a collector in your country you could contact, too.

Kind regards - Hildegard
16.10.11 09:22
Hildegard and Willi

Thanks so much for responding! Very nice of you to take the time.....

- my budget is approx 12-1500 euros
- more like restored / quite good shape ...
- I have a tech friend who can do almost anything but I was hoping to avoid major problematic technical / electronical
work
- style ....more like the style of the 50`s / 60`s. I would like to have the jukebox in my cafe both as
a part of the "vintage" style in my cafe - and for the music. Some of my guests are collectors of vinyl records.
When I was a youth in the late 60`s, there was a cafe on the corner with a jukebox. Have so many good memories from this
time of my life ....I guess this is what I would like to recreate ..both for myself and for my cafe guests. So I need a
jukebox that can be used / a workhorse. Of course there will be some maintenance.
- 45 single records
- amount of selections not the most important

So Rock-Ola and Wurlitzer (german) is what I should look for ....are there many models of these jukeboxes?
I am in Norway and yes ...there are some "dealers" here but they want a fortune for a jukebox when advertising.
I can read some german from 2 years learning in school almost 40 years ago ....-:)

Best regards
Bjorn
B&K
16.10.11 15:10
Hi Bjorn !

You wrote :
- my budget is approx 12-1500 euros
- more like restored / quite good shape ...
- style ....more like the style of the 50`s / 60`s.

All three points above (together) are not possible !
With a jukebox from the Fifties , I think this will be a budget problem.
Restored and in a good shape: 12-1500 Euros is the minimum budget for a sixties Jukebox.
At the end of the sixties most of the jukeboxes were closed , so it was not possible to see ,
what´s going on in the mechanism during record select.
Closed jukeboxes are cheaper !
Have a look to the Jukebox-Archiv with all this photo`s !

Kindly regards
Klaus

P.S.: I started with a Rockola 418S years ago and this one is still working !

16.10.11 15:52
A mid-sixties Rock-Ola, like the models 424 to 437 would be inside the budget.They still have got a partly visible mechanism, some chrome, and a tube amplifier on some modells.
If they are properly restored and cared for, they are very reliable. The basic mechanism has been used until 1991, so parts are easy to get.
18.10.11 20:33
Hello
I find one Wurlitzer jukeboxe for sale where I live. Could I have your comments on this one?
I will bring my tech friend for a test. Price is approx 1500 euros.

19.10.11 04:34
Deutsche Wurlitzer, Lyric FLS made in 1970. I don't think that the front picture is original.
[www.jukebox-world.de]
21.10.11 11:05
I post a couple of photoes again ...... thanks for any tips on these jukeboxes from you experienced guys. I find them for sale where I live.
Another thing ....when was stereo introduced in jukeboxes? I guess the single records I listened to in the 60th`s were mono
records? If I mainly want to play singles from the 60`s .....how does this impact on mono/stereo issue?
Thanks again for any comments.
Bjorn
21.10.11 11:16
And this Rock Ola ....

B&K
21.10.11 11:27
Hi Bjorn ,

Wurlitzer 2304 is already Stereo if there is the Letter S behind 2304 !
The Rockola Jukebox is Stereo !
I have in my old Rockola 1454 (Mono,but HiFi) also Stereo/ Mono Singles mixed without any problems and perfect sound !

Regards Klaus
25.10.11 20:04
Thanks again for information.

I am considering buying a 1958 Wurlizter model 2200 in working condition. Anyone familiar with this jukebox ref. available parts, eventually problems, ok sound?, Can I expect this jukebox to work everyday with some tech care from time to time?
When I go to test it, any special thinks I should be aware of?

Thanks
Bjorn

25.10.11 20:12
another phpto ....

30.10.11 12:13
I am being offered a wurlitzer 2404 from USA. How to change the voltage from 115V to V230? Is it a complecated process?
I have done this many times with recording gear running on 115V, but maybe the 115v jukeboxes are more complecated?
Thanks for any respond.
Bjorn
30.10.11 12:20
Maybe only a step down converter from 230v til 115v is the answer here .....?
30.10.11 14:15
Hello Björn

You will need the step down transformer 230 to 115 volts (with at least 400 VA) and a new pulley for the turntable motor [ssl.kundenserver.de] . I would also recommend to exchange the turntable drive belt [ssl.kundenserver.de] .

Best regards - charly49
30.10.11 18:20
Hello Charly

Thanks for your advice. Great to know these important details. This company seems to have everything ....like step down transformer etc.

Thanks again.
Bjorn
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in