Wurlitzer "Zodiak" 3500 - Need advice and help

geschrieben von - posted by wtporter 
Wurlitzer "Zodiak" 3500 - Need advice and help
23.04.11 14:17
I have a Wurlitzer "Zodiak" 3500 that has a lot of potential but does not work. I am looking for advice and help making it work. Does anyone have a good resource for help? Many operations work but they do not work like they should; for example, the magazine will turn, the selection buttons work, it does not index with the selection pressed and it does not load records. Any help would be appreciated.

Warren
Re: Wurlitzer "Zodiak" 3500 - Need advice and help
26.04.11 15:46
Hello Warren,

for each title there is an equivalent selector latch pin. This will be released when the selection is done correctly. If no pin gets out no selection can be found nor any record get loaded.

It would be helpful for others if you can let us know some issues:
1. do you have a service manual for this model?
2. information about your technical knowledge and equipment
3. a more detailed description of the problem and how long does it already persist,
4. did the Zodiac work before or did you get it out of order
5. what you already tried to solve the problem

In general problems can be caused by corroded contacts, gummed up mechanisms, damaged wires, bad microswitches, loose connections etc. Often a good cleaning is needed to get the jukebox working again.

Kind regards - Hildegard Stamann

29.04.11 01:33
Thank you, Hildegard. Here are a few answers for us to get started.

1. do you have a service manual for this model?......... yes, I do.
2. information about your technical knowledge and equipment........ I am not a technician but I do have a decent understanding of mechanical ideas and can learn very quickly.
3. a more detailed description of the problem and how long does it already persist,...........The selection buttons make the motor run and the lower portion of the magazine turn but the top of the magazine does not turn to the selected record. It was like this when I bought it.
4. did the Zodiac work before or did you get it out of order......... No, it was in this condition when I bought it. I have replaced locks, etc but nothing electrical yet.
5. what you already tried to solve the problem .... Honestly not much yet.

Thank you,

Warren
30.04.11 07:10
Hello Warren

You wrote: "The selection buttons make the motor run and the lower portion of the magazine turn but the top of the magazine does not turn to the selected record." There are two motors on the mechanism. One turns the SHAFT AND MAGNET ARM ASSEMBLY (refer to the manual, page 4C). The other turns the record magazine (page 7C). If you make a selection, the first motor turns the arm assembly to the opposite position of the SELECTOR LATCH PIN. Then the arm stops and the coil on the arm gets energized and pulls the latch pin inwards, the pin is released and goes upwards. At the same time the coil on the OVERRIDE ASSEMBLY (page 5C) is energized and the OVERRIDE SWITCH will be closed. The selection procedure is completed thereby.

The closed override switch tells the mechanism to scan for raised selection latch pins. The magazine should make two complete revolutions (interrupted to play selected records, if raised pins were found) and then stop at the home position. This should also happen, if no selection is made and the coil plunger on the override assembly is pulled in manually.

If the override switch is closed and the magazine doesn't turn, possibly the circuit breaker for the MAGAZINE LOCK SOLENOID is released. It is the small (I think red) button, located on the front of the chassis mounting plate. Push this button to reset. The circuit is exactly described in your manual (page 9E and following)

Greetings from Austria - charly49
30.04.11 12:00
Thank you!! The circuit breaker button is depressed and does not "reset". I think it may be bad. I will replace it and see what happens next. Does the arm assembly and the magazine need to be in a particular "home position" to start?

Thank you!

Warren
01.05.11 07:45
Hello Warren,

it is difficult to repair a never working jukebox in person, but it is much more difficult to help you without seeing it. no one knows, if there are parts missing or wrong connected. If you do not have electronic knowledge, you should find someone, who has and who can help you to read the schematics and compare it with the actual circuits.

The circuit breaker was only one of a lot of possibilities. I don't think, that it must be replaced. I will try to explain, which conditions have to be fulfilled, so that the magazine motor can run. Look at page 9E in your manual.

The override switch must be closed and thus the override relay must be activated.

The override relay has three switches. One energizes the turntable motor, the second lights the RECORD NOW PLAYING lamp. The third completes the circuit for the MAGAZINE LOCK SOLENOID. As you see in the diagram, there are some more switches in this circuit. The TRANSFER SWITCH (see page 12C), the CIRCUIT BREAKER (which you have already pressed), the RUN LOAD SCAN SWITCH (must be in RUN position) and the READ OUT SWITCHES (see page 10C). The read out switches are connected with slip ring contacts, which are also a possible source of trouble.

If the magazine lock solenoid is pulled in, the magazine is unlocked and the MAGAZINE LOCK SWITCH is activated. This completes the circuit for the MAGAZINE DRIVE MOTOR. The circuit is partly the same as indicated above. The part between the encircled numbers 70 and 76 is additional. There are two switches. The SERVICE SWITCH (must be in ON position) and the SAFETY SWITCH (should be closed, if the gripper arm is in home position, see page 11C).

I hope this will help you

Greetings - charly49
In diesem Forum dürfen nur registrierte Mitglieder schreiben.
Zum Einloggen oder Registrieren folgen Sie LogIn - Registration.

Sorry, only registered user may post in this forum.
To login or getting registered please follow LogIn - Registration.

Klicken Sie hier, um sich einzuloggen - Click here to log in